Wednesday, July 10, 2019

My Character Profile: Oliver Brann from The Rose's Flame

Hello everyone! 
*Picture by Jayspeed

Today I will be talking about a character who is near-and-dear to my heart. Oliver Brann is the secondary protagonist of my most popular Wattpad story, The Rose's Flame. He is the "cursed" prince to whom Rose Kijani is betrothed. His profile will contain details from the Wattpad story and those unique to the novelization I am working on. (Don't worry, I'll try not to spoil anything too important from the novel.)

Profile

Name: Oliver Brann

Nicknames: The Goblin Prince, The Cursed Prince, Invalid, Monster

Species: Human

Sex: Male

Ethnicity: Enchanter (meaning "one from the kingdom of Enchantment"), appears caucasian, his name has ties to our Norwegian. (Since Oliver is not really from our world, his ethnicity isn't that easy for me to explain.) 

Age: 18

Date of Birth: July 19th

Height: 5', 6-7'' (depending on who you ask)

Weight: 115lbs.

Why I Love Him

Every time I write about Oliver, I fall in love with him all over again. He is one of those people who cannot stand to be unkind of anyone. His attendant, Mr. Rodenfield (called Sir Nathan in the Wattpad version), taught him to be polite and patient to everyone, no matter how rude or awful they are.

Oliver is meek and humble, but more than capable of taking charge if the need arises (and those he is commanding will give him the time of day). His disabilities and constant illness do not stop him from  trying to be the best fiancé he can be to Rose, and eventually, being becoming the great king he was always meant to be.

My Favorite Oliver Moments/Quotes (Spoilers ahead! Please, consider reading The Rose's Flame and coming back to this bit. If you already have, thank you! If you don't care about spoilers, just keep on reading.)


1. "Would you believe me if I told you that I have never seen a rose before, except in drawings." [Rose said.]     Oliver's eyes widened in shock. "Never? But your name is Rose!" (Chapter 3, "Devising a Plan").  
2.  Just then, I [Rose] noticed a beautiful red rose, brighter than the flowers around it, blooming by my foot. I plucked the rose from the garden bed and offered it to Oliver. "I know I sound hypocritical. It is just...I suppose I have begun to grow accustomed to your appearance."      Oliver took the flower with a smile brighter than the brilliant sun. The sun soaked into my skin, making me feel warmer than I had since my arrival in Enchantment. (Chapter 4, "Lunching in the Rose Garden").  
3. (Okay, this one is kind of cheating because it's more of a Rose moment, but I still love it.) Sir Nathan helped Oliver sit up, and I quickly ducked out of the room, feeling heat rise in my cheeks. As it turned out, Oliver was not wearing a shirt. This in and of itself should not have embarrassed me, for I had certainly seen young men without their shirts before. The reason for my embarrassment lay in that, upon catching a glimpse of his scarred chest, I had felt a surge of attraction. Surely I was not starting to find myself attracted to the awkward, disfigured prince? (Chapter 5, "Meeting Mallow").  
4. Oliver shuffled over to a dusty stone bench that had weathered the years and sat down wearily. I sat down next to him, taking his hand and stroking it with my thumb. Oliver hesitantly leaned on my shoulder before continuing his tale. (Chapter 7, "Walking in the Past").  
5. He reached up and slowly removed his mask, revealing his scars in all their glory. His hair was pulled back in a queue today, revealing his lazy left eye which was usually concealed. I do not think I had ever seen eyes a more brilliant hazel [...]    Oliver looked down at the mask in his hand. He stood there, staring, for a tense several minutes. The muscles in his face visibly twitching as he tried to decide what kind of man he would be. Finally, he dropped his hand to his side.      The porcelain mask shattered as the wedding bells began to ring. (Chapter 8, "Wedding Day"). 

Conclusion
So, yeah, that's my favorite things about Oliver Brann. If you have any questions about The Rose's Flame, drop them in the comments. Thank you for reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment